Saturday, June 2, 2007

A Prank Call Misfired

During high school, I had a deaf best friend, named Missy. A deaf guy, also from my high school, Dale, truly liked this deaf girl, Cynthia, but unfortunately she did not reciprocate his feelings.

Among about 15 deaf students in my public high school, I was the only one who did not have a TTY. (TTY is a Teletype for the Deaf that is used like a telephone for deaf people to make calls to each other).

One weekend, Missy invited me to her house to spend the night. After talking about and pitying poor Dale who pined day after day for Cynthia, we decided to play a trick on him.

Sitting, poised, on a chair with a TTY and the phone handle on the TTY cradle in front of me, I, along with Missy's help, called Dale.

To our relief, Dale directly answered the call. I, pretending to be Cynthia, talked amorously to him. True to his feelings, he responded with an eagerness and full of hope.

Then, after some small "sweet" talk with Dale, "I" asked him out to a movie. Poor Dale excitedly said he could not believe that "Cynthia" changed her mind about him.

The time and location was set up to meet to go to the movie.

After hanging up, Missy and I rolled on the floor, laughing at the thought of pitiful, unsuspecting Dale, full of expectations, waiting at the movie theatre all by himself before realizing he was being stood up.

Ten minutes later, the phone light flashed. This time, Missy answered the call. To our surprise, it was Dale!

He briefly told Missy what happened with the previous call. Missy acted as if she did not know what was going on but encouraged him to go out with Cynthia.

Dale then surprisingly said he called Cynthia, right after my pretentious call because it sounded "too good to be true". He said Cynthia angrily told him she did no such thing.


Hence, to our disappointment, our prank was discovered.