Sunday, June 10, 2007

"Kids Only" pillow

"It's time to get up now! It's close to midnight. We have to get ready quickly!", urged my mother who hovered over my bed. Our plane's pending departure for U.S. from India was probably around 2:30 am or so.

Sleepily, I, watching my mother help my sister dress, asked her to help me also but she pointed out I was old enough to do it myself. Grumbling, I proceeded to slowly dress myself.

Finally, we were on the plane, with me sitting by the window. I remember, as the plane was taxiing on the runway, ready to take off, waved and thought, "Good bye, India. I don't know when I will see you again".

The stewardess gave us blankets and especially pillows to sleep on, to my sister's delight.

Several hours later, as soon as the plane made preparations to land in U.S., the stewardess came to take the blankets and pillows away. My five-year old sister, however, refused to hand over the pillow.

"I want to take it home! PLEASE, Mommy!", she sobbed loudly. My mother had to gently twist the pillow from my wailing sister and give it to the crew.

I was oblivious to what was going on as my mind was focused on seeing the U.S.

Years later, I asked my sister why she cried over this "trivial" thing. She replied, "I thought due to the size of the plane pillow, it was especially "tailored" made only for kids like me!"