Monday, June 4, 2007

Wow, a LIVE doll!

I was four years and one week when my little sister was born. I considered her as my 4th birthday "present". :)

The day my mom gave birth, my dad took me to the hospital to visit them.
The bed post was at my head's length. I remember being in awe, trying to raise my toes to look at the little white wrapped bundle lying next to my mom.

My mother was at the hospital for few days. During this time, everyday after school, I would be excited to go to the hospital.

I usually slept and played with stuffed animals and/or dolls. But when my sister was born, they temporarily collected dust. She cried, laughed, smiled. That was even better than dolls! I loved patting her to sleep and playing with her as she grew older.

Everyday, the minute I arrived home from school, I would run and squeeze her. Because I could not hear, my mother would keep reminding me not to hug her too tight or she wouldn't be able to breathe.

I used to beg my mother if I could sleep with her but of to no avail. (We did not have a crib. My sister instead slept on the floor with blankets in my parents' bedroom.)

Many years later, I was reminiscing with my mother about my memory of me visiting the hospital. She replied, "The whole time you came to the hospital, you practically made a beeline to see her. Not once you said 'hi' to me."