Thursday, February 28, 2008

Nissan Sentra

My mother gave me her 1992 red Nissan Sentra, after I had "lost" my Mazda Protege' to a SUV that my ex-fiance demanded and wanted. That car lasted for about five years, second longest next to the 1983 Chrysler that my dad had surprised me with.

In 2003, my dad and I were discussing through IMs. He was packing and getting ready to move back to India in few months. He asked if I ever wanted his car. Thinking that I was satisfied with this Nissan Sentra, I said no.

"Are you crazy?! Your dad's car is much better than this Nissan which is getting old!", my mother said to me.

But I felt attached to Nissan Sentra and it was small enough for my needs whereas my dad's car was quite big... more of a sedan type.

One night in October 2003, I, along with other south deaf Asians, hosted a first annual festival. I wore a nice Indian outfit that was re-made from my mother's old wedding sari that was dyed pretty teal green with pink silver border.

After the festival, I quickly changed to regular clothes and took off my contact lenses. I was planning to go to a friend's house and meet some friends there for tea and chat, although it was already 11 pm. I had pre-arranged a baby-sitter for my dog in case I got home real late because I wanted to have fun without worrying about Coral.

I had gotten married few months earlier, in April, and since I lived in a small bedroom of a condo that my roommate owned, I stuffed the back and trunk of my car full of wedding presents, that had not been opened or used yet. I was to move to a new place in two months and thought that the car would hold them for the time being.

Quickly throwing my bag with the Indian outfit and shoes in the back of my car, I proceeded to follow my friend to his house which was about 20 minutes away.

After parallel parking my car on a street of where my friend lived, I ran to catch up with others who were going inside my friend's place.

We had fun chatting, getting to know some people, and exchanging stories while sipping hot tea. Eventually, one by one, others left. It was just me and my friend. I lingered a bit longer, chatting with him, until about 2 am.

Finally, I looked at my watch and said I was due to have lunch with my sister and cousins in few hours so decided to leave.

My friend walked with me to the street. Puzzled, he then asked me, "Where's your car?"

In my corner of my eye, I saw a red car and immediately pointed it out. My friend's face still looked puzzled.

Not understanding the look on his face, I looked closely. It WAS a red car but of different make. I quickly looked around but did not see my car anywhere.

Panicking, I racked my brain, trying to remember where the heck I had parked the car! I was in a hurry to follow others into my friend's place.

Not letting go of hope, I said that perhaps it got towed. After calling the police which seemed like an eternity, they revealed there was no towing incidents in that area.

Finally, it dawned on me that my car could have been stolen.

"No, no no!" I told myself. It can NOT be true!

I sank slowly in the sofa, realizing that I had left all the wedding presents, especially my Indian outfit from my mother's wedding sari in the car!!!!

What an idiot!!!, I repeatedly berated myself.

Due to other more "important" crimes the police had to pursue in the middle of the night, I waited for about four hours before they finally came to my friend's place to take a report.

Glancing at my driver's license, two policemen looked at each other and wrote a brief note: "I am sorry this happened to you but happy birthday!"

To be continued....