Friday, June 6, 2008

A fainting spell

During my teen years in middle school, in my PE classes, every students were required to do sit-ups and stretching prior to starting an assigned sport. I used to do sit-ups quite fast, often beating other students whenever the coach timed us.

I would practice doing sit-ups at home with my sister sitting on my feet, to hold them in. I also practiced trying to split my legs as well, but not too successfully though.

After a year, I started to notice that whenever I started to do sit-ups, the middle of my butt would hurt a bit. The pain slowly increased in the span of few months, up to the point where I could no longer do any sit-ups, or even sit cross-legged on the floor.

The doctor diagnosed that I had a cyst between my butt. An operation was scheduled as soon as I finished 8th grade prior to summer-break.

After the operation, for almost 6 months, I had to wear skirts daily. I was not allowed to wear pants due to the fact that the seams may rub my stitches and scar.

By the time school started for the fall, I was forced to bring a seat pillow since I was unable to sit on the hard desk seats for a prolonged time. I felt like a freak, yet no one said anything to me. Perhaps they said something behind my back, or so I imagined.

Prior to the start of fall semester, I developed a high fever and was confined to bed for about 4 days. I did not eat much and barely consumed liquids.

On the 4th day, I woke up in the morning, almost feeling quite back to normal.

Happily and relieved, I walked from my bedroom to the bathroom to finally brush my teeth.

As soon as I finished brushing my teeth, but not yet putting the toothbrush back in its holder, I looked at myself in the mirror.

Somehow, the mirror became a bit blurry and a bit darker. Puzzled, I tried to strain my eyes at the mirror.

Suddenly, I felt dizzy and my eyes saw "black".

"MOM, MOM, I CAN'T SEE!!!" I screamed, running out of the bedroom and into my parents' bedroom.

The next thing I remembered was I found myself lying down, with my mom hovering me, frantically trying to rouse me.

I looked to my right to my outstretched arm which was half -way under my parents' bed. In my tightly fisted hand was my toothbrush.

Apparently, I had fainted due to lack of food for days.